On the morning of April 6th, Mirick O’Connell’s Labor, Employment & Employee Benefits Group once again welcomed nearly 200 Human Resources professionals and managers to its Annual Labor and Employment Seminar at the Doubletree Hotel in Westborough. The much- anticipated event was a great success, highlighted by presentations covering the following diverse topics:
- Deflategate and the Tom Brady Saga: Lessons Learned for the Unionized and Non-Unionized Employer
- The Laws Related to Medical Marijuana and Transgender Employees in the Workplace
- Earned Sick Time Law: The Aftermath and Practical Realities
- The Wheel of Misfortune: Reasonable Accommodation under the ADA
- What Every Employer Should Know About OSHA
As those in attendance can attest, our attorneys thoroughly enjoy conducting training on cutting-edge issues that can make a difference in the lives of HR professionals and managers. In addition to the above topics, we routinely conduct sex harassment prevention training at client sites, as recommended by the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, as well as training tailored to the specific needs of client employers. If you would like on-site training for your workforce, please contact us.
In addition to the legal presentations, this year we had a little fun by challenging attendees to compete for door prizes by playing “Labor Group Jeopardy.” This version of the popular game show tested the audience’s knowledge of obscure facts related to various members of the Labor Group. See how many of the following questions you can answer correctly (answers are provided at the bottom):
- This Labor Group Member was the leading scorer for their high school lacrosse team and went on to play lacrosse in college.
- The Labor Group Member names their pets after U.S. Presidents – Lincoln, Franklin, and Quincy.
- This Labor Group Member performed stand-up comedy while in college at a club in Boston.
- This Labor Group Member spent his early days in college running, not walking, from class to class.
- This Labor Group Member has 2 sisters, each named Robin.
- This Labor Group Member holds their high school record for most 3-pointers made in a basketball game, 9.
- This Labor Group Member entered a qualifying round for Nathan’s Competitive Hotdog Eating Contest and had the distinction of coming in dead last, but can now claim the title of “competitive eater.”
- This Labor Group Member climbed Mount Masada on crutches after breaking his foot on an international trip.
- This Labor Group Member was Head Coach for a Girls Youth Basketball team that won the League Championship in 2016.
- This Labor Group Member is a die-hard Bruce Springsteen fans, having attended multiple concerts.
- This Labor Group Member’s past times include antiquing and hot yoga.
- This Labor Group Member, at age 8 or so, conducted discipline trials in front of her parents, complete with openings, closings and calling of witnesses, in order to affect the degree of punishment the parents would issue for bad behavior.
- This Labor Group Member traveled to Iceland recently to wake up some place truly memorable on a recent landmark birthday.
Answers: 1 – Sharon Siegel; 2 – Amanda Baer; 3 – Jonathan Sigel; 4 – Mike Murphy; 5 – Marc Terry; 6 – Brian Casaceli; 7 – Bob Kilroy; 8 – Jonathan Sigel; 9 – Mike Murphy; 10 – Marc Terry; 11 – Sharon Siegel; 12 – Amanda Baer; 13 – Rich Van Nostrand